Monday 3 May 2010

Grand Canyon Beer – Review

The store in Grand Canyon Village had some locally brewed Grand Canyon beers. Obviously, I had to give them a go. So here is my quick review of the three varieties on offer.



Horseshoe Bend Pale Ale:



The first of the three was an American Pale Ale and from the first sip it completely redefined my view of American beer. I was expecting it to be an “Ale” in the loosest possible terms, but it was genuinely like a pale ale. When I think “pale ale” I automatically think of Greene King IPA, but Horseshoe Bend is very different in taste. HBPA is much more bitter than the IPA and is refreshingly crisp, especially after a day's walk. The aftertaste is good and hoppy with notes of caramel. All in all this beer is a triumph over the American beers we get in Britain.

In 1 word: Unamerican

Sunset Amber Ale:



The term “ale” is getting a little loose to describe this one. HBPA showed me that the Americans can brew a good beer, not on the level of Butcomb Bitter, but a nice tipple. Unfortunately SAA is pretty much what I was expecting from an American “ale”. It is almost a bitter-lager cross. Crisp, cold, refreshing like a lager with a hint of bitterness and taste usually found in a bitter. The aftertaste  is lageresqe in the fact that there isn't really much to say of note; no real flavour, just a generic lager aftertaste. I would not call SAA an ale rather a tasty lager.

In 1 word: Lager

American Pilsner:



This one at least doesn't call itself an ale of any kind, because it isn't. The beer is very light in actual flavour, but very sharp and bitter. Again, no real aftertaste. To be honest, I don't know anything about pilsners and I'm not sure I have ever had one before, so I have no real comparison to call upon. To me it seems like a very watery but very bitter beer, still quite pleasant though.

In 1 word: Bitter

Cube out

No comments:

Post a Comment