Thursday 10 June 2010

09/06/10

reporting on the 10/06/10

Our final real driving day, travelling from Mass over to Philadelphia. We went a bit of an odd route so that we could grab a couple of caches in states we hadn't hit. We went through Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland. Driving past New York NY was a bit of an experience,we didn't drive in Manhattan itself but the bypass is still not a fun bit of road. It is a narrow and busy cutting that runs through Queens and the Bronx before going across into New Jersey north of Manhattan. I was quite surprised to find that the area around New York has some of the cheapest gas we've come across anywhere in the country, fine by us though.

We stopped at a Sonic drive-in restaurant on the way through, a new experience for us. I will do a separate review, so won't go into too much detail. I will say that is a bit different from the dining experiences as of yet insofar as you drive up to a menu with a microphone and speaker, make your order and it gets delivered to you sitting in the car. Similar to a drive through, but with the idea that you park up and dine there. It was good fun and another restaurant ticked off the list.

After the drive we ended up in a small town in New Jersey near Philadelphia. Whilst in the McDonalds in this town we got talking to a local called Rich who was a guy about our age who is into computer gaming and anime. He was a nice guy and shared similar interests as us such as liking Neil Gayman and British comedy. However, he was our first real contact with the right wing American that we hear so much about in the Uk; a supporter of Bush, the Republican Party and the war on Iraq and refers to the west coast as the “liberal left” with much spite. I always thought that the south was the conservative heartland so was a little taken back at his strong political views, that said, he was a nice guy and we ended up chatting away until the McDonalds shut.

We popped into the Wal-Mart to grab a couple of things and found, much to my delight, that they had Mario Galaxy 2 playable on their demo wii. I only played it for a bit, but it reminded me of how great Galaxy was and how much I want a wii, but I really shouldn't as I have so much to do when I get back that I really don't need another distraction.

Cube out

No comments:

Post a Comment